Skip to content ↓



My name is Ingrid Tregoing and I am the Inclusion Manager at Waterbeach Community Primary School.

As Inclusion Manager, I support the staff to ensure your child achieves their potential. We want to work in partnership with you to effectively support your child in school.

If you have any worries about your child’s specific needs please talk to your child’s class teacher in the first instance. I am also happy to meet with you and can often help you to find the right service in the community to help with particular issues.

My email address is or alternatively please call the school office to arrange an appointment.

How do we Support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

At Waterbeach Community Primary School we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all our pupils including those with special educational needs and disability. We offer a range of strategies and teaching styles to support children with particular needs. Whatever the difficulty or need we endeavour to enable your child to achieve their educational potential by identifying and providing the most appropriate support available. This support may be offered as individual or small group support on a daily, weekly or other basis. This will be decided on each individual’s merits and will take into consideration the individual’s needs, classroom situation and personal targets.

  • Classroom Support – by Teaching Assistants both in mixed ability and differentiated groupings
  • Differentiation – worked planned especially to meet the needs of your child
  • Group Support – Examples of group support include: Speech and Language Group, Sensory Circuits, Phonics at varying phases, Social Skills groups, 1-1 reading plus many others – carried out by Teaching Assistants
  • Voluntary Support – parent helpers or members of the community eg: 1-1 reading
  • Professional Support – including Specialist Teacher Support, Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapists, School nurse, Family Worker and many more
  • Individual Support – 1-1 Teaching Assistant

Other support for children with Special Educational Needs

  • We aim to make our classrooms accessible to all children’s needs.
  • We have very strong pastoral support arrangements within school including a children’s counsellor and a strong Child Protection team
  • The Inclusion Manager’s role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with special needs and disabilities.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses in school or run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of children in their class
  • Disabled toilets and a therapy room

Some of the kinds of SEN that are provided for

Communication and Interaction

  • Autistic spectrum and speech and language disorders,

Cognition and Learning

  • Dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia; moderate learning difficulties, global developmental delay.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health

  • ADHD, ADD, attachment disorders, emotional difficulties, mental health difficulties, selective mutism

Physical and Sensory

  • Hearing impaired,
  • Visually impaired

Medical Needs

  • Epilepsy, bowel disorders, Tourette’s syndrome

How do we assess our pupils?

All children in our school undergo frequent assessments to inform us of their progress and to enable us to make decisions about how we can support all our children; and particularly those who may have individual needs.

We also have our own baseline assessments which help us to identify an area of need. These are administered by the Inclusion Manager or her assistants.

What happens if your child has been identified as having a special educational need?

Do not fear, they will get the correct support to enable them to real their potential in our school.

Your child will either be at SEN support level or will have a Statement of Educational Needs

Both will have:

  • Steps to Success which will be created with you (and with your child if in KS2)
  • Termly meetings with you to review old targets and to create new targets
  • If the child has a Statement then there will also be an annual review meeting where other agencies who have been working to support the child, will be invited to attend.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to suit your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you

For information relating to Cambridgeshire’s Local Offer please click here

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

I am worried about my child’s progress and think that they may have special needs. What should I do?

If at any time you are concerned about your child’s educational progress you should talk to your child’s class teacher about your concerns. Through a discussion with your child’s class teacher, you will have your concerns listened to, you will discuss difficulties the child is having in school and together will plan the next steps.

There are a number of things that your child’s class teacher will be able to do to support your child within class, working with you and your child to ensure appropriate support is provided.

The next step would be for you to discuss your concerns with me, the Inclusion Manager.

What is a “Steps to Success” (S2S) document?

If we feel that your child would benefit from having targets in addition to the ones they already have in class, we may decide to give them a S2S. This is where additional targets will be set to address particular needs in relation to your child and their additional needs. These will be discussed in termly review meetings and shared with you.

What is a statement or a EHC Plan?

A statement of special educational needs clearly describes your child’s needs, and the aims and objectives identified to help your child to achieve their potential. It enables parents and professionals to have a shared understanding of how the child’s needs should be met. It is reviewed annually to ensure that any extra support given continues to meet your child’s needs. In September 2014 the EHC plan replaced the Statement. An EHC Plan looks at all the needs that a child or young person has within education, health and care. Professionals and the family together consider what outcomes they would like to see for the child or young person. This plan identifies what is needed to achieve those outcomes.

I am worried about my child’s transition to secondary school. Is there anything I can do?

Do not worry. Your class teacher as well as the Inclusion Manager will speak with the new school about your child’s needs. If required a year 6 child may be given extra sessions at the new school in the summer term before they start there.

If I have a complaint about my child’s support what should I do?

Please approach your child’s teacher and/or the Inclusion Manager. If the situation cannot be resolved at this stage then ask for an appointment with the Head teacher.

If you feel that you would like support in your meetings with the school it is advisable to contact the Parent Partnership Service who will advise you and attend meetings where necessary.

Glossary of Terms

ADD – Attention Deficit Disorder

ADHD – Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

ASD – Autism Spectrum Disorder

BESD – (EBSD, SEBD) Behavioural, Emotional & Social Difficulties

C & I – Communication & Interaction

C & L – Cognition & Learning

EHC – Education, Health and Care plan

IM – Inclusion Manager

KS – Key Stage

PSA – Parent Support Advisor

S2S – Steps to Success

SALT – Speech & Language Team

SEN – Special Educational Needs

SEND – Special Educational Needs & Disability

TA – Teaching Assistant

Find out about Cambridgeshire County Council’s Local Offer for children with Special Educational Needs.

Please also read our SEND Policy